To celebrate the release of CHRISTMAS BELLS, I’m combining the two things that always receive the most visits and comments:
A visit from my friend, Luann, with
one two of her delicious recipes, and the announcement of my latest Cherryvale book.
Luann’s got the chops in the kitchen, and she’s a hoot as well. If you haven’t subscribed to her blog, Mudpuddle, hurry and do so, then come right back.
I guess you’ve noticed cooking with exotic salts is trending! so always on top of the latest, Lu’s showing us how to make Salted Lemon Caramel Sauce. Good on any.thing.
So snuggle in with a cup of hot tea, a sample of Lu’s drop dead delish dessert, and take a trip to Cherryvale, where a Christmas eve blizzard’s got the town scrambling to find enough room in the Inn. And food to fill hungry bellies of dozens of stranded, grumpy travelers. Lu, Grace could really use your help!
And now, here’s Lu!
Well, I’m sure you know what I mean.
Sometimes things are good.
Like Weegie soaking up the morning sun with his squeaky toy.
Or a piece of The Fresh Apple Cake made with Honeycrisps. (pictured at the top of this post)
The Fresh Apple Cake
1. Chop and toast 1 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts). The toasting is SO important. Let them cool completely.
2. Peel and chop 3 cups Honeycrisp apples. Pour 1/4 c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice over the apples. Set aside.
3. With a mixer, combine 2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 c. vegetable oil, 2 tsp. vanilla, 2 eggs, and 1 tsp. salt. Just mix until well combined.
4. In a separate large bowl combine 3 c. flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg.
5. With a wooden spoon, mix together the sugar mixture and the flour mixture.
6. Stir in the apples and pecans.
7. Bake in a well-greased and floured tube pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
8. Allow to cool in pan for about 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife all around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
9. Invert onto plate. Glaze with a mix of powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.
But. As good as those things are… this is better
A piece of Fresh Apple Cake with a little Salted Lemon Caramel Sauce.
This sauce is something you don’t want to miss. I promise.
I can think of all kinds of things you could drizzle it over.
It makes anything better than it was before.
(Except Weegie, of course. He can’t be improved upon!)
Try it. You’ll love me more than Friday!
Luann’s Salted Lemon Caramel Sauce